Monday, January 15, 2007

Left Hand Milk Stout and Pastels

Left Hand Milk Stout is a delicious delicious beer. It tastes like liquid milk chocolate. Like chocolate milk, but with alcohol. Like that time we made shakes with chocolate ice cream and Kahlua, only better. Like ordering a tasty chocolate treat at the soda fountain, but beer. Oh so good.

We've tried a couple beers from Left Hand Brewing, and they're all good. My only complaint is that their website requires Flash. Bad web design practice. But this beer could atone for so many wrongs. It's like a get-out-of-jail-free card. And it came with a sticker!


M: 10
N: 9 (Stingy, no? He has given a few 10s... one is on another Left Hand beer)

*******************************
I have never before tried soft pastels (I did oil pastels once when I was, like, 8). But after seeing many great pastel works in the WetCanvas wildlife board, I picked up a cheap set of 24 and two giant toned pastel papers. I chose one of my many to-do art projects and got started with my new supplies. And I can't say that I'm enjoying it too much.

Getting used to a new medium takes time. But my main problem with pastels is their chunkiness. I can't sharpen them to a point like a pencil or a paintbrush. The end is a huge square hunk. You *can* sharpen them, sure, but then half the stick has become a pile of dust that you may or may not manage to use before your cat sneezes on it.

I've finished the background by blending (pastels blend very nicely) with tissue paper, q-tips, and a sponge brush. All the dust is either worked into the paper or I've tapped it off. The subject, however, needs detail that's hard to get with a chunky tip. They say you can use Colour Shapers to push the dust into fine lines, so I'll try that... but there's always dust left over. Blow it? Tap the paper? Whatever you do, don't touch it or it comes off on your fingers.

I used the rough side of the paper because some genius put an indelible price tag on the fine side. I think the fine side would have been easier to work with. Also, pastels require a dedicated shirt. I don't think the pigment dust will ever come out of the sweatshirt I'm using. I look like a chimney sweep.

After all that, though, I can think of one good thing to say about pastels - their colors are so very bright if you don't dilute the dust. Just don't breathe on it, ever.

1 comment:

Leah said...

So this has turned into a beer report card, eh? Ha ha. How are you getting so many beers, and getting time to try so many? I remember the time we made delicious alcohol shakes...mmm. I like the beerfinder on the Left Hand website, it found me a store where I can (supposedly) buy Left Hand. Maybe Ashley and I will try it while she's here this weekend.

Yay beer! Thumbs down on pastels.