Monday, November 13, 2006

Young's Oatmeal Stout and Wacom

First, I must say... GO BEARS!

Now, this week's beer: Young's Oatmeal Stout. To begin, I bring you the following quotation from Wikipedia:

"Oatmeal stout has more body than standard stout, and is smoother, slightly sweeter, and typically higher in alcohol. The flavor is roasted and malty, with almost no noticeable bitterness, and a texture some describe as "chewy" or "silky" due to the oats; oats contribute significantly to the protein content of the beer. Oatmeal stout was, in the past, often recommended as a restorative drink for invalids."

So, that's how an oatmeal stout is supposed to taste. And most that we try do have those good oatmeal-y qualities. But Young's is lacking. It may have body, but the tanginess overwhelms. It is bubbly and bright and not very smooth or sweet. Malty, yes... but that isn't always a good thing. It is slightly bitter, not particularly chewy, and not good for much except washing down pizza.

At least it has protein. And... invalids??

N rating: 5
M rating: 4

p.s. I couldn't find a good link for Young's Oatmeal Stout, but google it and you'll find it. Here's a link for the last beer (I edited that post too): Xingu

*********************************************************

On to the Wacom. I've been tinkering with the idea of trying digital art recently. With my newfound desire to explore color comes a desire to try all different kinds of media, digital included. The itch got worse when I had a dream about drawing on a graphics tablet. So I'm looking into getting one. You know, follow your dreams and all that.

First, I must mention that I've done a few little arty things and photo touch-ups with the GIMP (cool free graphics software) and the mouse. That did not make my wrists happy. In fact, they howled in pain, bewildered by the unwarranted punishment. So if I want to keep it up, I need a tablet. Wacom is a popular brand, so I looked at their website. Great features and all that, quite expensive (as expected), and no Linux support (also as expected). Sigh.

Of course, the Linux community being as rockin' as it is, there is Linux support for all sorts of graphics tablets, Wacom included. It just isn't done by Wacom. It's done by lovable programmers who sit at their desks, basking in the glow of their monitors, with no thanks other than the satisfaction that they've once again thwarted the strangle-hold of the Large Personal Computing Corporations with Free Software.

So here's to you wonderful geeks: thanks for making all my periphals work. I love Linux, and I couldn't do it without you. My search for the perfect graphics tablet continues. <3

1 comment:

Betty said...

I must agree with you on the Oatmeal Stout. My husband had tried the Oatmeal Stout this weekend, he was not a fan of it. I also took a sip and couldn't bare to take another sip. It had a great appearance but disappointed in the taste of it.My husband also wrote a review on it. Feel free to check it out.
http://thejoereview.com/category/beer/